Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] converting from BSDI to linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] converting from BSDI to linux
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Apr 1999 21:47:21 -0500

"Cory T. Lamb" <ctl4u@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello everyone.  I'm taking on the duty of an OS conversion...  We're
> moving from BSDI to linux and before we actually go live I'd like to try
> it on a test machine...  Just to see if I can convert all of the existing
> users and such.  Does anyone know if there is an "easy" way to move all of
> the users groups and user directories over from BSDI to linux?

tar ought to work fine to tar up the directories on BSDI and then
un-tar on Linux.  As far as users go, you can probably cut and paste
sections from the passwd files, although the shadow password files may
be different formats on Linux than on BSDI.

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 202,713,399th prime number is 4,282,388,203.