Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
[aclug-L] ftpd problem, HELP!

To: <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] ftpd problem, HELP!
From: "Roger Jolicoeur" <komula@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 02:20:36 -0500

Hi eveyone, I'm haveing trouble getting my ftp server working.  First, a little background on my systems and set-up.  I'm working on my graduate project, which is essentially an intranet application.  My systems are simulating an intranet environment, two computers connected by Ethernet The Linux/Server system (Red Hat 5.2) is set up as a dual-boot with Widows '98 and the client system is running only Win '98.  The TCP/IP appears to be functioning correctly because I can serve HTML pages off of the Linux/Apache server to the client via Netscape or IE .  When I ping the Linux system from the client, port 20 & 21 respond and the ftp service registers as active.  However, when I try to make an ftp connection Linux seems to start some type of process and never returns the client request.  The log from WS_FTP on the client shows the following:

- -
connecting to 192.168.1.200:21
Connected to 192.168.1.200 port 21

[24] from 192.168.1.100 port 1137
! Receive error: Blocking call cancelled

! Connection failed 192.168.001.200
- -

Linux's IP address is 192.168.1.200, the client's is 192.168.1.100.  There is a long pause after the third line (approx 2 minutes) and
then the connection is terminated.  I spoke with Tom Wallis about this and he helped me identify a couple of problem areas.  First in the /etc/inetd.conf file, the reference to /usr/sbin/tcpd needed to be deleted because I don't have DNS service configured.  Second, I had made an incorrect entry in the /etc/ftpusers file.  (Thanks again Tom!)  Unfortunately, I 'm still not able to connect after making these changes.  The line I have in the /etc/inetd.conf file to start the ftpd is:

- -
ftp  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -l -A
- -

(I've also tried -a, same result)

I'm admittedly a newbie (one month old) but I've researched this as much as I know how at this point.  I'd really appreciate your help getting unstuck.  If you need other information to diagnose the problem drop me an e-mail or call me at 393-7550.  Thanks for helping!!!

Roger Jolicoeur