Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] compiling the kernel

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] compiling the kernel
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:29:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Seth Turner wrote:

> This eve, I am planning to recompile a kernel at any extreme.

It's well into the evening, now, but I'll toss out a few things.

> I have had sucess in the past once, however when I made the last one, it
> gives me a kernel panic.

Did it panic when compiling the new one, or did the new one panic after
you booted with it?

Was either one an "unstable" release?  Try one of the 2.2 kernels.
Beware, one of them had a silly accounting error (you won't hit it unless
you enable the accounting option).

> I am using debian and trying to go about this via make-kpkg etc.  Anyone
> willing
> to throw out a few pointers or perhaps indications of what might be happening?

Again, not familiar with Debian, but there's a Kernel-HOWTO, typically in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO(.gz)

Congratulations on taking the plunge, and good luck! :)
(Everyone should recompile their kernel)

-jeff
----
We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The question which
divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being
correct.  My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough. -- Niels Bohr