Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] modem configuration problem

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] modem configuration problem
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:30:32 -0500

>I am attempting to get Linux to recgonize my modem at work.
<SNIP>
>I am working with a USR Sportster (internal pnp) 56k modem.
<snip>

I'm pretty sure the USR Sportsters were all Winmodems.  That means it won't
work with Linux (or DOS, or anything but Windoze).  It's a cheap hunk of
comm hardware that uses some proprietary software to make it act like a
modem.

>Any ideas?

Check one of the many modem lists to be absolutely certain, but I'm about
99% sure it's a winmodem.  If so, your only recourse is to get another modem
(one that has full functionality on the card).

Greg