Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Snap:News & Media:Top Stories:Mutating E-Mail Virus

To: Linux users group questions <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Snap:News & Media:Top Stories:Mutating E-Mail Virus
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:24:42 -0600 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Jeff wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, maholmes wrote:
>
> > Two Questions:
> > 1). Will melissa affect LINUX?
>
> melissa only infects Outlook users.

Not exactly, it will infect any computer if opened in Word 97. I'm not
sure about sending it to your first 50 email addresses, as I assume It
uses Outlooks mailbox to send them.

Besides Sending mail, does anyone know what else the virus does? I've
never heard that.

In addition linux is rather invulrable to viruses as programs run an as a
non-priveleged user do not have total access to the system.

Make sure as root you don't run untrusted programs.

> It'd affect linux if there was a linux box responsible for sending mail
> for lots of Outlook users.
>

> > 2).  Where is my isapnp.conf file supposed to be?  Every timne I boot
> > up, I must type isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf  Then reboot the system to get
> > the modem to work.
> > Also how to I test the sound card to see if it is working?
>
> /etc/isapnp.conf is correct (from 'man isapnp')
>
> The rest I have to leave for someone who uses them.

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button.  It was eliminated when he was
sewn up after surgery.