Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Dell 486s

To: ACLUG List <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Dell 486s
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:26:32 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Bob Deep wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Time to yank the drive into a different computer ;)
> > To be continued...

To tag onto this, I finally got a procedure down; the first 486,
"grunt001.schaller.net" (just the LAN name), has been assimilated :)

> For about $350 you can have a Celeron 333 with 32Meg Ram(or better)

Ouch, out of my price range (and more computing power than I need) (I say
that now; the Dell got a whopping SIXTEEN bogomips :)

> trying to get all the salvage parts out of the Dell (Hard Drive,
> floppy, mouse, keyboard, monitor) in one peice..

hehhehehehehheheheheheh. Actually, it's not so bad once you work your way
around 'em a bit. I can even get the HDs out without removing the power
supply now. (Once you do it 3 times, you find shortcuts) :)

> I can point you in the direction of some parts

This I'd be kind of interested in; mostly I'm looking for [cheap, old,
preferably working] 3/486s -- complete system (MB, power, HD, case)
preferable, but I could probably fiddle a bit with parts.

-jeff
ObLinux: Anyone using a sytem based on the LRP? (www.linuxrouter.org)