Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] LI but no LO

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] LI but no LO
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:32:49 +0000

Karl Juhnke wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Bob Deep wrote:
>
> > Try adding the "linear" (sp in doubt) option to your lilo config file
> > and cycle lilo.  That should fix it I believe...
>
> You da man!
>
> I stuck "linear" in the lilo.conf file, and now LILO boots fine, my folks
> have Windows again, and I have been readmitted to the family.

Oh, problem... Just express your gratatude in monitary form, and I get
half the birthright you just got back.... :)

> > What's going on is that lilo has a small portion of the program that
> > lives on the MBR... But the MBR is too small to do much except locate
> > some other sectors, load and run them...
>
> Thank you very much for not only telling me how to fix the problem, but
> also explaining what was going on.  I truly appreciate it.

Well... I had to do the research myself when I had the problem and I got
to reading the kernel book and it had a whole section on lilo and how it
worked....  Thought I'd try to condense it to the necessary facts and
leave out all the complicated details (that I don't remember anyway).

-= bob =-