Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] LI but no LO

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] LI but no LO
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:58:29 -0600 (CST)

You need to reinstall LILO.  Boot from a Linux rescue/boot disk, then run
"lilo" at the command prompt, with a valid/correct lilo.conf file in place
(usually in /etc/lilo.conf).

Or... to simply restore it to the original (Win95-only) state, try booting
from a DOS/Windows boot disk, and running "fdisk /mbr".  You should then
be able to boot into Windows as normal without LILO.

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Karl Juhnke wrote:

> So, I got the RedHat 5.2 CD's (thanks Matt!) last night, and installed.
> Now when I turn on the computer it counts the RAM, sees the hard drives,
> etc., (AMIBIOS) and at the point where it used to say "Starting Windows"
> it says "LI" and hangs.
>
> Let me back up a step.  The computer has been running Windows 95.  I
> bought and installed a second hard drive for Linux, hoping to dual boot.
> I did back up the most important files from the Windows drive before
> starting the install, but I hadn't the means to back up everything, and to
> make matters worse the computer is my parents', not mine.  If you guys
> can't save my bacon, I won't be allowed to touch the machine until it is
> retired as a doorstop.  :-(
>
> The installation process was uneventful until I tried to restart the
> computer.  I expect the partitions and packages I chose aren't relevant to
> my problem, just LILO, but I wouldn't know.  When I got to installing
> LILO, the instructions implied that I would not be able to dual boot
> unless I put LILO in the master boot record of hda, so I did.  On the next
> screen I set it to boot by default from "dos" = hda1 and alternatively
> from "linux" = hdb5 (my root partition).  However, it refuses to do
> either.  I never get to a boot prompt.
>
> The instructions said to make a boot disk and a rescue disk, which I did.
> I don't know what the rescue disk is for, but the boot disk allows me to
> boot from hdb5 and run linux just fine.  XWindows works great.
> (Indicentally, I have already discovered that the backgammon program sucks
> pondwater.  20-3 my first match, and I expect more if I had known to
> aggressively exploit its weaknesses.  Is there a backgammon program out
> there of any real power?)  The point is, however, my linux boot disk
> doesn't allow me to boot to hda1.
>
> What is my problem and how might I fix it?  Please please please don't
> tell me I have to reinstall Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Fritz
>
> P.S.  John, you may remember my setup from what you did at the
> installfest.  I used the partitions you created, although I forgot how you
> were going to mount them.  You had partitions of 100, 125, 500, 3000, and
> 2000, which I called /, swap, /usr, /var, and /home, respectively.  Is
> that right?  Is it relevant?  I seem to remember you removed EZBIOS from
> both drives, so that wouldn't be relevant any more, right?
>

> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-