Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Mar 1999 18:40:05 -0600

jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> what needs what and what the packages were that I originally selected, I
> just said give it all to me.  I have 1.6 GB to fool with so I figured I'd

A "full" installation of Debian would eat up several hard disks that
size :-)

> anything I'd expect to be there.  I'm not home so I can't walk through it
> (and wouldn't be able to communicate with you if I was walking through it
> anyway) so until I can try it again and take notes, that the best I can do.

I think I'll wait for the notes before trying to guess.  You may be
thinking of netstd and netbase packages, or nfs-server perhaps.  Not
sure, really.

>      Would it be worth trying to download the new distr. from the web?  I
> never have before because of the uncertainty about what to get.  I wish
> they'd just archive a CD image.  Anyway, that's where I am.  I'd be trying

Well, there are CD images available for download, but you *really*
don't want to download them.  The reason is simple: you'd be
downloading lots of stuff you'd never use.  When you install off the
Internet, dselect is smart enough to download only what you need (or
what you select) and nothing more.  You'd be downloading at least 4
times as much if you download the CD images.  We're talking about 1.2
gig of stuff for downloading just the main and contrib CD images.

To do a pure network install with no CD, you'll need the boot/rescue
disk, the modules/drivers disk, and several "base" disks.  The install
instructions have information on these.

> RH except it doesn't seem to like the installation disk for some reason.
> It works on other machines, but not this one.  I think I wasn't meant to
> have Linux at home.

Ha, we'll trick it into installing if we have to :-)

Everyone is meant to have Linux at home :-)

>      Let me know if anything here looks familiar, or, I guess, I'll just
> wade into it again and see if I can make it work this time since I finally
> remembered that my block device is /dev/cdrom.  :-/  Thanks again, John.

If you can wait, I'd suggest that you purchase the 2.1 CD set (minimum
of 2 CDs) and print out the install instructions from
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ and start from scratch.  That
would probably be the easiest.  If you've got Acrobat around, you can
download the PDF file and print it out.  It's a very nice-looking
piece of work, and provides a comprehensive, step-by-step approach.
It's 63 pages in total, and highly recommended.

There's nothing really wrong with 2.0, it's just that the install is
trickier and the install manual is much more sparse.