Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] PerlTk

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] PerlTk
From: John Goerzen <pilot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:14 -0600

   >I bought a book on Perl/Tk earlier this week thinking that this module was
part
   >of the RedHat 5.2 distro, and based on the meeting that we had a few months
   >ago, in which John showed us some of the things that can be done easily
using
   >Perl. I come to find out that, not only is the PTk module not a standard
part
   >of RedHat, but that I can't even get the source for the latest verion of
the

The source can be found at http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/.  Go there,
then click on "modules", and then you can go to the user interface section or
the
by-name area.  It goes by several different names: pTk, TkPerl, and, most
commonly,
Perl/Tk.  So you may need to look under each of those possibilities.

Once you've downloaded the source, untar and type:

perl Makefile.PL
make

Then su to root and run:

make install

This ought to install it.  If you have an existing RPM of Perl/Tk installed,
remove it before
you do this, though.  You will need to have the X development libraries
installed
if they aren't already.

   >module to compile. The previous version compiles, but it gives me an error
   >whenever I try to add a widget to the Perl script. Does anybody out there
have

Can you post some sample code that causes this error, and the particular error
message that you're getting?