Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] MS Office for Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] MS Office for Linux
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Mar 1999 09:48:08 -0600

OK, here's an interesting discussion topic...  Rumors are flying that
Microsoft is working on an Office port to Linux.  This comes from
ZDNet at http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2224863,00.html

So, the question is, is this good for Linux?  And secondly, is it good
for Microsoft?

I would tend to think that it's bad for Linux because it will tend to
squeeze out the Free competitors such as AbiWord and LaTeX.  Microsoft
is thinking that they can make a killing in a market with no
competition (like on Mac).  What they're not figuring on, though, is
that by doing this, Linux instantly becomes a more credible Windows
killer in the eyes of the "suits".

As they always say, life is interesting.  I am not surprised that they
are doing this, but I *am* surprised that they are doing it now.  I
would have expected it to be a few more years until this would occur.

John