Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] MS Office for Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] MS Office for Linux
From: Jim Rosencutter <rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:22:50 -0600

My $.02 - I think this would be a good thing for Linux and bad news for
WinNT/Win200*.  The major downfall of OS/2 was that there were very few
marketable applications being written for it.  So I think for Linux, the
more programs the better.

There is an interesting article at
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/1999/7/ns-7106.html on Corel's upcoming
Linux strategy.  They are working on the Wine project (in the article,
Corel claims that Wine isn't so much a Windows emulator as it is a tool
to port Win32 apps to Linux), and they are also planning on putting out
a Corel Linux distribution.

My question is, what is to stop MS from putting out their own MS-Linux?
Scary thought, huh?

Jim
--
jÏm ®¤§ÊÑÇüttêr (rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)