Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Heatsinks...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Heatsinks...
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:00:50 -0600

James O. Harms wrote:

>Occasionally you see a heatsink glued directly to the processor - most
>often in Packard-Bell machines.  I have always assumed it was done with
>some variety of epoxy, but I don't know where you can find epoxy with
>good thermal transfer characteristics.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen
this since the 486 days. I always guessed it was because they were remarking
the chips, but perhaps I'm just overly suspicious.  I know I just stuck a
new ABIT BH6 motherboard in a system I'm building for someone and it's got a
heatsink that's apparently glued to a chip.  It's permanently affixed
anyhow.  I think it's over the PCI chipset.

>The "silicon glue" John mentions
>is quite sticky, but is not meant to hold parts in place.  Its purpose
>is to eliminate air gaps between the processor and heat sink (which
>"helps the heat transfer"), and for this reason is often called "thermal
>Compound".

Yeah, I'm familiar with heat sink compound, I use it on pretty much every
system I do anything with.  Good stuff!

>Jon's suggestion of a fan that clips directly to the processor is the
>easiest way to take care of this

I've never seen one like that.  All the ones I've seen attach to the little
tabs on the socket.  Where might I find one?

Thanks much,
Greg