Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:35:22 -0600

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 07:14:45PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> years hence.  Imagine the shock and bewilderment a person from a century
> or 150 years ago would experience in today's world.  I surmise that we
> would experience as great a shock if we were to arrive in the world 100
> years hence.

This is a fascinating analogy.  The ideas put forth basically are those of a
car that drives itself -- knows where it's going, etc.  What is interesting
is that I know some Amish folks that have said how they could sleep on the
way home from some place far away because the horses were trusted to get
them home -- and did, all by themselves.

It seems that we are, in one sense, returning to the modes of the past,
while at the same time embracing a radically different idea: actually
putting life-or-death decisions into pieces of silicon.  I'm not sure that
I'm comfortable with the latter, even if it was implemented in free
software.