Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:12:11 -0600

Ahhh, but one slight rub.

The success of linux, is in some strang way related to the success of
Microsoft.  Without MS's serious control of the computing hardware
market, and the standardization of the Personal Computer hardware, the
bulk of linux's current users and developers would still be in the dark
ages (ie B.P.C).  Linux then benifits from a standard and stable
hardware platform that's cheep and reliable. (Yes, it runs on various
platforms, but the bulk of development is being done on PC's).  It is
the availablity of the hardware that makes linux as successful as it is,
and we owe a lot of thanks to the M$oft/Intel pair for the situation we
find our selves in.

We are not yet close to having the same situation for "automatic"
driving cars.

In order to develop the system you describe, you will need to develop
hardware systems to take care of the mechnical functions, as well as the
software to run the whole thing.  I see three major peices to be
developed...

1.  Electro/Mechnical interface which allows a car to be controlled via
some sort of digital interface.  You must steer, change speeds, apply
the breaks etc, all from some sort of digital interface. (Don't
underestimate the complexity of this!)

2.  Input and data collection interfaces... (Hey, how do you intend to
have the computer figure out how to drive? Video, Audio, Radar, etc?)

3.  The Software system to link the input (be it a video camera, and
other data sources) to the outputs to drive the car (and of course the
hardware platform this runs on).

Most of the things necessary for development of such a "automatic"
driving system do not yet exist in even hobyist form.  Ths cost of
development of such systems is high, and the avarage hobyist is not able
to spend such large sums, nor actually go out and install the stuff on
his families mode of transportation.

When the costs come down, look for development.  But I doubt it will
happen until then.

In the beginning, Software and Hardware where both very expensive to
obtain or develop.  Then with the advent of higher level languages and
compilers, software became cheeper and cheeper, initially much faster
than the hardware all these programs ran on.  With the standardization
of the PC over the last few years (say 10) and the massive jump in
performance, now hardware is *really* cheep... So cheep that computer
out sold TV's at Christmass.  Now, with linux, anybody can develop
software at home that would put most 10 year old programs to shame, all
on a $1000 computer!

Now for the cost of a computer and $2 for a CD you can have some of the
best development tools anywhere....  No wonder linux is so well
supported.

-= bob =-