Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Smart Cars
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:14:45 -0600

No Flame here.

In fact I find the idea intriguing from a technical standpoint.  I think
that it would take a very long time to be accepted, at least in the
U.S.  We Americans do equate personal freedom with our cars and find
driving to be something that I would guess tends to satisfy that part of
our physche that says we must be in control.  Of course the reality is
that we are not in control and in situations like this morning's ice
probably makes our percentage of control very low indeed.

Assuming such technology would be accepted in the future, I suppose the
technology would require some portion to be installed in or around the
roadway and the rest in the car.  This would be feasable on Interstates
and major roads, but would it be economical to install on secondary
roads and rural roads?

Over time I'm sure computing systems would approach and probably exceed
the human mind's capacity for quick recognition of some object in the
roadway and formulating a response.  Obviously, not all drivers seem to
be so alert and this is also learned behaviour, an interesting
application of AI systems.  Yet, the car, to be truly smart, must be
able to discern the difference between a dog or other small animal
darting into the roadway and a child and must formulate an instant and
appropriate response.

Clearly not only will traditional logic need to be employed in a smart
car system, but some level of decision making based on learned behavior,
memory recall, and perhaps even reasoning at some level of human
morality would need to be developed so the car's system can take evasive
action.  By this I mean will the car jeopardize its occupants for the
sake of a small animal on the road and what kind of action will the car
make when confronted by a human in the roadway.  What action any given
driver will take is based on many factors, but (I believe) is based in a
fundamentally high regard for human life.  Much anecdotal evidence
points toward drivers putting themselves in great jeopardy for the sake
of a fellow human being.

Putting this reasoning in a machine is a great challenge.  Getting
mankind to accept it is even greater, IMO.  However, as man becomes more
and more surrounded and intertwined with the technology he produces, I
think the chances of accepting such technology will increase.  In fact
given the progress of the past 40 or 50 years, it may be safe to assume
such cars will be common place 50 years from now and most likely 100
years hence.  Imagine the shock and bewilderment a person from a century
or 150 years ago would experience in today's world.  I surmise that we
would experience as great a shock if we were to arrive in the world 100
years hence.

However, all of the above aside, you asked if this would be a suitable
Open Source type project.  Of course it would!  Would you want a
Microsoft in control of that kind of technology, especially if it were
subject it to patents and NDAs?

I think that as we head into the 21st century, we must not allow such
technology to be locked up by patents and NDAs as this level of
technology is extremely powerful.  Put to the right use it can enhance
and aid all people.  Put to the wrong use it has the potential to create
tyranny on a massive scale.  Information must be Free if people are to
be free.

I think the Free Software/Open Source movement will be seen many years
from now to have had the same cultural influence on the world as the
U.S. Constition did when it was ratified in 1787 and the Bill of Rights
a few years later.  Its effects will be far reaching.  Enjoy the ride!

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "The more you
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | complain, the