Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] first plunge

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] first plunge
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:50:00 -0600

i have both isa and pci slots open on my 486.
what would you be asking for them?

phrostie

Dale W Hodge wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, phrostie wrote:

> thanks!
>
> the network card on the "new" box is a "smc ultra".
> i remember seeing this one in the list of supported hardware.
> i still need a card for my old box.
> does any one has an old card that i could buy or trade for that will work with it?

The question is what kind of card do you need?  ISA or PCI?  Best Buy has
new 10/100 pci cards for $29.99.  Or if that's too rich for your blood, I
have a spare 10BaseT PCI card I'd let go cheap. Or maybe two. I just
bought a new 10/100 autosensing hub and I'm moving all the newer machines
I can to 100BaseTx.  Let me know if I can help.

P.S.  Best Buy also has an 8 port 10BaseT hub for $39.99  I would really
consider going 10BaseT rather than 10Base2 if you can afford it.  It's
much easier to string "telephone wire" than coax. Plus if one machine goes
down the whole network still works. I know this isn't a big deal if you
only have two machines, but if you ever want to add a laptop or Handheld
it *does* make a difference. Something to consider...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a

---
This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your

phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.