Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] first plunge

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] first plunge
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 23:22:08 -0600

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 06:14:37PM -0600, phrostie wrote:

> i have a very old network card, thomas-conrad, arc-card/at copyright 1987.

If I have my facts straight (somebody please correct me if not; I wasn't
invovled with networking at that time), that card is not even Ethernet, so
it's not going to work unless you find a similarly outdated card and
appropriate cabling for your other computer.

> is this even useable?

The short answer is no, I believe.

> what will i need to do to my current machine to prep it for a lil network?

All you'll need is a network card and some cabling.  To do this on the
cheap, for as little money as possible, here's what you'll need:

 * A network card in each computer with a 10base2 (aka Coax aka BNC)
   connector.
 * Coax cable with connectors on each end.
 * Two BNC T-connectors
 * Two BNC terminators

With this method, you'll not need any hub, and can have up to 5 computers on
the Ethernet at 10Mbps speeds.

For network cards, anything based on the NE2000 or DEC Tulip will be fine.
There are plenty of other cards (3com, etc.) that work fine too, so if
you've got one of them, ask, and we can probably find info for you.

> i'm new to this side of linux so i'll be asking a lot of stupid questions

No problem!