Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] New Linux - !!!Status Update!!!]

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Linux - !!!Status Update!!!]
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:13:46 -0600

Carl B. Davis wrote:I just got an E-Mail from Red Hat.  They will send me the
latest CDRom for $10.  At this early stage of the game, I think it's probably
worth it to me.  I dont' have much to lose by reinstalling from scratch with
the new CD.

> ??  Were all those parts really bad ??  Does not seem likely that all
> the effort was necessary... Unless of course you had some catascrophic
> power supply problem that wiped the rest out. (Say it put 12 volts on
> the +5 volt line or something...)  Any other type of problem should be
> isolated to one component...Not multiple ones like you describe.

No, all of the parts weren't bad, but some were switched out in my uncertainty
over what was causing my problems.  I use the "Guess" method to fixing PC's.
The old hard drive has migrated into another system.  The mother board still
works, but is left over.  The CDRom and the Power Supply were defective and
have been sent to the great compuer in the sky.

> > After replacing virtually all the components in the system, I got Linux
> > installed and running  basically the way I want after four tries.
>
> 4 times is not bad, you must learn very quicly... It took me about 6 or
> so installs of slackware and Red Hat before I could install a networked
> system with X the first time. (And I'm an professional unix user..)

I have some, small amount, of experience with Linux and Unix.  I had installed
Linux several years ago, and I also use an SCO Unix box every day at my
office.  All any of that has done is make me very aware of how little I know,
and how much damage I can do in a very short time.

> If you like Joe, make sure you have the package installed.. Then to find
> the executable (which may not show up in your menu of applications) run
> the command "find / -name joe".  This command will print out all the
> files/directries named "joe".

I tried this, but the computer found none.  I had also tried "locate" with no
success.  Using the X-Windows RPMS, I looked around on the CDRom and didn't
find Joe as an available package to install.  Maybe it will be on the 5.2 disk
when I get it.

> I sudgest X-emacs, but hey, I'm a die-hard progrmmer who loves over
> doing it.

I tinkered with X-emacs, but was under the impression it was a Reader or
something that didn't allow editing.  I will have to revisit it.

> See the applicable "HOW-TO" about networking...  My guess, is that if it
> is a NE2000 compatible, it's also a PNP card and you will have to do
> some work to get it set up... I'll see if I can find any info on that
> specific card...

I searched the documetation I had and I believe I was mistaken.  I don't think
that it is NE2000 compatible after all.  Nowhere on the box, the documentation
or on the setup disk that came with it is NE2000 mentioned.  If it is not
NE2000 compatible, would you advise replacing it?  I did run a diagnostic that
gives me some configuraiton information.  Some of it doesn't mean anything to
me, but I thought I might be able to tell compatibility with it, that would
suggest an altenate driver.  As I had mentioned, it is an SN3200 bought from
Prologic here in Wichita.  The "S" and "N" stand for "Simple Net".  The
configuration is as follows:

Complies with IEEE802.3 Ethernet Standards
Ethernet addres:  00 40 05 3D 2A D7
* Medium Type:  10 Base T, TP/CX AutoDetect
* Full Duplex:  Disabled
I/O Base:  6200 H
Interrupt:  11
* Boot Rom Size:  No Boot Rom

The ones with the asterick (*) are configurable.Please let me know if this
information is helpful in determining compatibility of the card with this
system.  I note, that the setup disk does include files to implement the card
on SCO 5.0. .

Thanks for your help.

 Carl