Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] News Bits

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] News Bits
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:01:37 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

> "John Alexander" <john.alexander@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > While perusing the newsgroups today, I saw a post that said that Redhat has
> > announced 5.2 based on the 2.2 kernel. Additionally, the folks at TUCOWS
>
> 5.2 is out but the 2.2 kernel is definately not.  The latest 2.1.x
> series kernel is 2.1.127, I believe.

Indeed you are correct except they are releasing 2.0.36 with a promise
of a quick update to the 2.2.x kernel when it arrives....  All they have
to do is add build a kernel, package it up as an RPM and they will have
a new kernel...You know that it will be another $40 and they will call
it 6.0 or something...

I'm beginning to wonder about their reasons behind the "release".  Seems
that Red Hat is releasing a new version to generate revenue and not
because there is much new to release.  With the new Kernel seemingly
very close, why not wait a few months for it?  We can only hope that the
quality of 5.2 is a bit better than 5.1 was...  After all, they are
including a bumper sticker this time...  The claim to have some new and
easier to use install process, which from the hype, just asks less
questions than the last install process....

Does someone keep a list of gripes for each distribution out there?  I
think it would be a great tool for the distribution developers to figure
out what to fix next.. Sorta give them some of that "user feedback" that
Micro$ claims they don't have...  (They could list their strengths as
well..)

Don't get me wrong... I like Red Hat.  It's the best of all the distro's
I've tried (three at this point), but this release of next to nothing
(33 package updates out of the few hundrad they include) seems to be a
lot of fuss for next to nothing...

-= bob =-