Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] New Linux - !!!Status Update!!!]

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] New Linux - !!!Status Update!!!]
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:47:03 -0600

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 03:13:46PM -0600, Carl B. Davis wrote:

> > I sudgest X-emacs, but hey, I'm a die-hard progrmmer who loves over
> > doing it.
>
> I tinkered with X-emacs, but was under the impression it was a Reader or
> something that didn't allow editing.  I will have to revisit it.

I do not hesitate a bit in claiming that XEmacs 20 is undoubtedly the most
powerful editor on the face of the planet.

It is *completely* customizable and reprogrammable.  So much so that it can
fully and faithfully emulate other editors like vi.  It comes with several
games, three mail readers, one news reader, a hypertext document browser, a
web browser, a telnet program, a terminal emulator, etc. -- almost all of
which are written in its ELISP programming language.  However, you do not
need to know ELISP to use it.

It can understand the format of dozens (hundreds?) of types of files, and
give you appropriate enhancements for editing those files.  For instance, in
C files, it helps you do intentation, provides visual hints to matching of
parenthesis and braces, and provides an IDE-like front end to the compiler
and debugger.  For HTML, it performs syntax validation of your documents,
helps you create valid HTML files by using visual cues, etc.

> NE2000 compatible, would you advise replacing it?  I did run a diagnostic that

Some non-NE2000 cards (quite a few, actually) work great in Linux.

> Prologic here in Wichita.  The "S" and "N" stand for "Simple Net".  The
> configuration is as follows:

This card, though, I've never heard of.

> The ones with the asterick (*) are configurable.Please let me know if this
> information is helpful in determining compatibility of the card with this
> system.  I note, that the setup disk does include files to implement the card

Nope, that's basically physical-level stuff that's on a lower level than the
OS driver.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |