Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] It's a network - sort of

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] It's a network - sort of
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:03:03 -0600

Well, some progress. The network is sort of working. There
are two win95 machines and one Linux. 10baseT networked. The
machines can all ping each other by IP number. The win95 boxes
can ping all others by name, Linux box can't. Other than
pinging, I can't detect the win boxes on the Linux machine. I
think that the Linux box not being able to ping by name goes
back to the resolv.conf file?

The win boxes can telnet into the Linux box, perhaps even root.
ftp tries to connect to the Linux box, but is refused. I
suspect that a little work with the hosts files will fix this?

The Linux machine can not ftp nor telnet into the win machines.
Here again I suspect a problem with hosts files?

The Linux machine does not show up in the network neighborhood
on the win boxes at all. The Linux machine is starting smbd and
nmbd at boot up. Is there something there that I am missing?

Am I on the right track? Any advice or suggestions? I am working
toward using the Linux box as a print server and for accessing
the internet with IPMasquerade. I am operating under the
assumption that getting the above working would be a
prerequisite to that end.

Thanks for your time and help,

Wayne