Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] It's a network - sort of

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] It's a network - sort of
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 23:48:37 -0600

At 08:00 AM 10/29/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Well, some progress. The network is sort of working. There
>> are two win95 machines and one Linux. 10baseT networked. The
>> machines can all ping each other by IP number. The win95 boxes
>> can ping all others by name, Linux box can't. Other than
>> pinging, I can't detect the win boxes on the Linux machine. I
>> think that the Linux box not being able to ping by name goes
>> back to the resolv.conf file?
>
>What have you got set up as far as name service (DNS)?  Is this
>network "live" on the Internet or...?  (Looks like perhaps it's behind
>a masquerade box?)

I had thought that the default look up on a LAN would use the box's
/etc/hosts file first and then look for a DNS. That's why I didn't
configure it to serve as a DNS. I thought that SW's servers would
handle that task while on the internet. The end goal is to use the
linux box for a masquerade box, but I have to get the local network
working right first, I think.

>If you don't have DNS set up, it's not hard to do a simple
>installation.  We can help.  That would be why the ping by name on
>Linux doesn't work.

John, I did not set it up to run as a DNS at install. I have tried
installing anything that looked like it was relevant. That was bind
and a caching nameserver. One or the other set up named files in
the machine. It did not allow linux to ping either of the other two
machines on the LAN by name. I'm not sure what you mean by "live"
on the internet. I can connect to the internet with pppd from the
linux machine or direct dial from either of the win95 machines. The
linux box has no trouble looking up names on the internet. It is
only the local network that it can't relolve. Those were the only
two packages on the RHL CD that looked like they would apply. After
RTFM's I thought that would do it. Alas, I need further assistance.

>> The win boxes can telnet into the Linux box, perhaps even root.
>> ftp tries to connect to the Linux box, but is refused. I
>> suspect that a little work with the hosts files will fix this?
>
>It's odd that one would work and the other wouldn't.  ftp is maybe
>commented out in /etc/inetd.conf?

No, it isn't commented out. When attempting to ftp to the linux
box, using wsftp, it indicates a connection to the host, port 21
and then shortly announces that the login failed. It does this
using either root or a user name to attempt the login. Is there
a file that configs the ftp login process? That seems to be where
the problem lies.

>> The Linux machine can not ftp nor telnet into the win machines.
>> Here again I suspect a problem with hosts files?
>
>Windows machines do not have ftp or telnet servers, so this is
>expected actually.

Seems resonable that you can't ftp or telnet them then. I never
thought of that. Duh!

>> The Linux machine does not show up in the network neighborhood
>> on the win boxes at all. The Linux machine is starting smbd and
>> nmbd at boot up. Is there something there that I am missing?
>
>There may be a problem with your samba configuration, but let's fix
>DNS first.

No doubt you are correct on this point, but I'm with you, one thing
at a time. Thanks for the help.