Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] Where did I go wrong

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Where did I go wrong
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:44:29 -0600

OK, I finally got the NIC intergrated into the box. It recognizes
it and starts everything at boot as it should (I think). I'm left
with a couple of problems and several questions.

Problem one, the computer doesn't seem to see the rest of the
network (two Win95 boxes) and they don't see the Linux box. It
will ping itself but can't the other two. SMB is running. I just
don't know what to look for now.

Problem two, the pppd works but during connection I get the following
message, "Can't restore terminal parameters: Input/output error." It
also gives the following, "not replacing existing default route to eth0."
Both messages may be proceeded by, "Remote message." I realize this
all has something to do with the ethernet and modem, but where do I
look to fix it.

Now for the questions, first, should the linux box be running any sort
of dhcp to work with the two Win95 boxes? They seem to want some sort
of dhcp, but of course, there doesn't seem to be any documentation for
that. I saw that it is an option under linux.

A couple of meetings back, John was saying to use 10.0.0.0 IP addresses
for boxes on the net. RHL 5.1 assigns 127.0.0.1 to the lo function as a
default. Should one use 127.0.0.x IP's on the different boxes or
10.0.0.? numbers? Should the eth0 have the same, or different, IP's
as the lo (loopback, I think)? If different, should they be the
127.0.0.x or 10.0.0.x? If there is a documentation source that covers
this stuff, I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any, and all, help.

Wayne