Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Where did I go wrong

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Where did I go wrong
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:14:41 -0600

Wayne White wrote:

> Now for the questions, first, should the linux box be running any sort
> of dhcp to work with the two Win95 boxes? They seem to want some sort
> of dhcp, but of course, there doesn't seem to be any documentation for
> that. I saw that it is an option under linux.
>
> A couple of meetings back, John was saying to use 10.0.0.0 IP addresses
> for boxes on the net. RHL 5.1 assigns 127.0.0.1 to the lo function as a
> default. Should one use 127.0.0.x IP's on the different boxes or
> 10.0.0.? numbers? Should the eth0 have the same, or different, IP's
> as the lo (loopback, I think)? If different, should they be the
> 127.0.0.x or 10.0.0.x? If there is a documentation source that covers
> this stuff, I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks for any, and all, help.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.... Grin..

Most of what we have here, is some failures to communicate...  Basicly
because the linux box and the Windoz boxes are not likely looking at the
same IP addresses.  What we need to do, is get everybody looking at the
same list of IP's and I think we will get things working.

First, I don't beleive you want to assing IP's in the 127.0.0.x range,
not that it would not work, but because it may be confusing and make
routing difficult.  Consider 127.0.0.x out of bounds when assinging
IP's.  You definitly want to have 127.0.0.1 as the "lo" device on ALL
your linux boxes (it's the standard) so if you had a local network
(127.0.0.x) then the routing would be very hard to accomplish to other
nodes on the network... Use something else for the "eth0" device.  You
can use 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x are both good choices for a local
network, pick one.

Once you pick a network, then you have two paths you can take.  Static
IP assingment, or dynamic IP assingment for the windoz boxes...  For
small networks Static is eaiest to set up, while the dynamic IP setup is
easier to maintain for larger numbers of windoz boxes.

Before you start, pick an IP for your Linux box (say 10.0.0.5) and add
that information to /etc/hosts as your local host's name.

For a static setup, you just assing each windoz box an IP (and a name)
(and enter these values into windoz configuation as a static IP and
machine name).  Add these machines to the /etc/hosts file on the linux
box and you are just about there.

After rebooting the windoz boxes (I beleive they require this) you
should be able to ping them by the name you entered in the /etc/hosts
file.  Pinging the other way should also work by IP.

If you cannot, you need to look at two things.. run "ifconfig" and see
what address the "eth0" adapter is using, and run "route" to see what
adapter is going to get traffic for that IP.  Sometimes the PPP adapter
can be snagging your packets as the "default route", unless the routes
are right.

Good luck, and if you have any troubble, post the output of "ifconfig"
and "route".

-= bob =-