Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux Configurator

To: Air Cap Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux Configurator
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 11:25:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Looking at Freshmeat http://www.freshmeat.net/ I found an entry for the
> Linux Configurator.  Folks this is quite a project!  Some of you are
> probably well aware of its availability, but for those of us just
> starting out or at an intermediate level this suite should be just
> dandy.  It is touted as being able to configure DNS and Sendmail, among
> a number of other configuration files.  It even runs in the background
> (having been started from /etc/rc.d/rc.S at boot time) and will restart
> deamons after changes have been made.  It features four interfaces,
> commandline, Ncurses, HTML, and an X GUI.
>
> I'm sure there are still some rough spots, but it's at 1.10r34 right
> now, so it should be somewhat useful.  You can find it at:
>
> http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/
>
> I'm going to download it and check it out.

I've tried this, and was unhappy with the results. I think it is tailored
more for Red Hat systems, for it really mucked things up on my Slackware
system.  It particularly messed up my routing table under diald, so I
couldn't connect to the net. and even though I told it not to, tried to
reconfigure my mail daemon (with disasterous results. It also forces one
to make a menu selection on boot up, which in my particular case was not
acceptable. My system is running in a production enviroment, and I need
the capability to remote boot it in some cases.  The menu feature
esentially blocked that capability.

Having said this, it may be of use to someone who is unfamiliar with
configuring Linux manually. It offers a web interface that allows much of
the actual configuration to be selected from menus. If you have simple
needs and a basic system, this may work for you.

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx  dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.dnd.ddns.org