Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] big installation fest...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] big installation fest...
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:30:52 -0500

> Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> just curious, but how many people on this mailing list use RedHat
> Linux?

Guilty... I run RH 5.0 at home and have a box or two at work set up with
it.

RH is the easiest for me to install, but it only moves the learning
curve back only slightly.  If you are running on the hardware that RH is
set up to support, it's great.  It sets up easily for the normal home
user and the normal subset of hardware that RH can support.

BUT.... When you don't run the standard stuff, or you require some
variance in your setup that RH is not equipped to handle, you have to
deal with the choices RH has already made for you, and then come up a
steeper learning curve than if you just sloshed your way through a
slackware install.

Also... Some of RH's tools do not react as you would suspect and get
confusing in places during the installation process.  It's better than
slackware, but still does not install its self by any means.  I think
they have done a good job, but more work needs to be done.

Either way, the issue is not the distribution, each has their strengths
and weaknesses.  The issue is what you plan to use it for, and how well
does the distribution perform for your application.  Once up and
running, Linux is Linux and you are most likely not going to notice much
difference except for where you have to go to tune the system to your
needs.

-= bob =-