Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1998:
[aclug-L] X-windows (fwd)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] X-windows (fwd)
From: Bijaya Hamal <bj01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:40:02 +0500 (GMT+0500)

Dear Sir /Madame,
First let me thank for the netscape help. I was able to use netscape 4.05
with redhat linux 5.0 successfully . This is my prob at my other box.
I am a newbie at linux and am using redhat 4.2 on a 486 100 hp vetcra
machine with a cirrus logic gd543x vedio card with 512kb ram .
I had installed Xwindows , that is XFree Server on it . Then I went to
install netscape but due to my wrong configuration of my display, netscape
would give error and show pic only in mono . Then I went on to
reconfigure with Xwindows with Xconfigurator plus every configurator.So
messed up everything.

Now the it displays error
messages as follows :-
1)when I do startx
_X11Trans SocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect:error =111
giving up
xinit:-connection refused
xinit:-no such process errno 3

2)with Xconfigurator now it gives :-
server does not exist
in /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

3) i also used xf86config ..but to no avail....

I also consulted the redhat manual and also tried:-
cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
rpm -ivh XFree86-S3-3.1.2-1.i386.rpm
ln -sf ../../usr/X11r6/bin/XF86_SVGA /etc/X11/X
it shows it conficts with metro x .

Now I think I have messed up all the settings. I want to re-install my
xwindows either metrox or free86x ,which ever.I want to make a fresh
attempt from zero .  I have my redhat cd with
me.So how do I go about it ?
I will be very grateful for your help. Sorry for bothering you .