Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1998:
[aclug-L] Aclug Meeting Notes 6-18-98

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Aclug Meeting Notes 6-18-98
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:47:41 -0500

First sorry about this being so late. I've been busy recompiling my
kernel for sound (which works ... almost) and studying for Calc III.

We started the meeting with news of an article from MSNBC which says
Linux is ready for prime-time.
        http://www.msnbc.com/news/172571.asp

Next we went in to our planned presentation on Multimedia with Linux
these are the majority of what we went over.
        Video:

        We started with a viewing a Quicktime video Troops, the Star
Wars and COPS parody (http://www.theforce.net/troops/) with xanim, a
program capable of playing quicktime(mov), Windows Video (avi), and
MPG's all with sound (if your kernel is so compiled like mine is).

        Graphics:

        John Goerzen gave an extensive demonstration of the GIMP
(www.gimp.org) graphics editor ("the replacement for Photoshop"). He
showed us the logo he made for the Boa Webserver (shown on the aclug
home page happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug ) and animated the BSD Daemon.

        Moonlight Creator (http://www.cybersociety.com/moonlight) is a
very fast "highly portable environment dedicated to virtual
creation". From its website:
        Currently implemented features include:
                  full 3D modeling
                        primitives
                        NURBS
                        manipulate objects, polygons, vertices
                  importers from DXF, OFF, ASC
                  exporters to DXF, OFF, Rayshade, POV, VRML 1 & 2
                  OpenGL real-time preview
(http://www.sgi.com/Technology/OpenGL/)
                  both standard and radiosity lighting
                  raytraced rendering

        Povray quality 3d rendering (no drawing).

        Xmorph - converts tga files into a morphing movie.

        Sound:

        SOX (SOund eXchange) is a generic utility for translating
sound files from one format to another, possibly performing a sound
effect at the same time.

        bplay - provides a simple command-line utility for playing and
recording audio files in raw sample, VOC and

        cdda2wav - get WAV files from digital audio cd's

        cdparanoi - Cdparanoia is a utility for reading tracks from
audio CDs as data. helps read scratched cd's. Also available is a
patch to cdda2wav to help it play scratched cd's
. http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/xiphmont/cdparanoia/

        Playmidi - a midi file player

        TRACKER -plays Amiga MOD files

        Though not mentioned in the meeting I have found a mp3 player
called x11amp. I haven't tried it yet
though. http://www.x11amp.ml.org/

For those programs with out links they are available with most linux
distribututions or from sunsite ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/

Until Next Time

Clint Brubakken cabrubak@xxxxxxx