Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kernel HELP HELP

To: "bj bj" <horny_lama@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kernel HELP HELP
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Apr 1998 11:26:15 -0500

"bj bj" <horny_lama@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I did as you  suggested . Chose the same options , followed the steps
> and subtitued  zlilo inplace of zImage . I did make zlilo in place of
> zImage . But alas got the same error message , exactly same .

make zlilo will probably put your kernel under /vmlinuz.  You are
looking at the kernels under /boot.  Did you check the ones under /?

> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> other=/dev/hda1
>         label=dos
>         table=/dev/hda
> image=/boot/vmlinuzO
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda2
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=new
>         root=/dev/hda2
>         read-only
>
> Now about when I rdev :-
> 1)when I rdev the old kernel...the one which works fine...the one I
> installed ...
> rdev vmlinuzO
> Root device /dev/sda2

This is OK.  When lilo is what loads your kernel, you don't have to
worry about rdev.  The root= line in your lilo.conf tells it what the
root partition for that particular kernel is, and lilo will tell the
kernel what to use, regardless of the rdev settings.

--
John Goerzen             | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming       | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for