Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1998:
[aclug-L] kernel HELP HELP

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] kernel HELP HELP
From: Bj <horny_lama@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 23:10:38 +0530

Dear Sir /Madame,

 I am using Red hat linux 4.2 on a intel machine i.e. 486 / 66 hp vectra
 with ide harddrive 850 , ne2000 network card , normal 1.44 floppy
drive,
 color monitor . The installation is fine , it does work but I do get
 problem when I compile a custom kernel. I have consulted the kernel
 howtos, other manuals , faqs but could not seem to find an answer .
I have partitioned the 850 IDE hdd in two partitions , one is C: and the
other is D: .
In C: I have installed WIN95 and D: I have installed linux .It does dual
boot fine and works fine . But when I compile a new kernel it gives
probs .

 These are the steps I followed :-
 1)make mrproper
 2)make config with minimum but necessary options such as fss,network
 support , etc .
 3)make dep
 4)make clean
 5)make zImage and did copy zImage as /boot/vmlinuz
 6)make module and install_modules etc .
7) copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to /boot as vmlinuz and mv
old
vmlinuz as vmlinuzORG
 7)edit lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo

MY gcc version is 2.7 , a later one than the recommended one which is
2.6.3.

These are the exact options I chose in make config :-
the YEAHS or the one's where  I chose  " yes"

1)enable loadable module support
2)set version info on all symbols for modules
3)kernel daemon support
4)kernel math emulation
5)networking support
6)pci bios support
7)system v ipc
8)kernel support for a.out binaries
9)kernel support for elf binaries
10)compile kernel as ELf-if your gcc is elf-gcc
11)processor type-486
12)normal floppy support
13)loopback device support
14)ram disk support
15)initial ram disk support
16)network aliasing
17)Tcp /Ip networking
18)kernel networking link drivers
19)network device support
20)ethernet 10 or 100 mbit
21) other isa card support
 22)ne2000 /ne1000 support
23)mandatory lock support
24)minix support
25)extended fs support
26)second extended fs support
27)xiaf file sys support
28)dos fat fs support
29)msdos fs support
30)/proc filesys support
31)system v and coherent fs support
32)bsd disklabel support
33)standard generic serial support
34)parallel printer support
35)mouse support
36)ps/2 mouse support
37)enchanched real time clock support

as loadable modeles :-where I chose m for modules

1)dummy net driver support
2)plip support
3)ppp support
4)nfs support
5)smb filesys support
6)iso 9660 cdrom filesystem support

 But I get this message when I boot the new Kernel  as Kernel Panic :
 This is what it looks like :-
 eth0:NE2000 found at 0X300 , using IRQ3
 VFS:Cannot open root device 03:02
 Kernel panic VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:02

 when I check with rdev zImage ,the one residing in
 /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot it shows the proper root device .

 Please help me . I will be very grateful for your expert help .