Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1998:
[aclug-L] Re: FTP Tracking software

To: Michel West <MWest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FTP Tracking software
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Apr 1998 23:27:15 -0500

Michel West <MWest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
> I need to find FTP and FTP Tracking software for our linux server and
> am having trouble finding anything to fit the bill, can you help?

OK, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "FTP tracking software".
Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on this.

As far as an FTP server goes, you have two choices: the "stock" ftp
server (comes by default with Linux), and the wu-ftpd server.  Some
distributions, such as Debian, have a wu-ftpd package.  Check your own
for particularls.  If you don't have a package, you can download the
sources from:

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z

> The actual request I received was to be able to:
>
> 1) Directory access for organizing files remotely (from win95 pc's)

Sure, you can use a W95 FTP client (MS-FTP, WS_FTP, CuteFTP, etc) or
any Unix client (ftp, ncftp, lftp, etc) to access it.

> 2) FTP Tracking software.

This you'll have to explain what you are looking for :-)

> 3) password protected FTP access accounts.

Yes.  In Linux, you can give each person an account using the
"adduser" program.  Their password for FTP will be the same as the
password for their normal account.

You can also set up anonymous FTP on a Linux server, although that is
a bit more difficult.

Good luck!

John

--
John Goerzen             | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming       | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for