Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: voila

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] Re: voila
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:25:39 -0600

Dale W Hodge wrote:

> [...]

I just tried bringing up the homepage both using IE5 under NT and IE4 under
Win95, and both look fine. Aside from the homepage, there's very little in
way of tables. (The banner is in a table. Most pages only have the banner.)

I've also tried it with lynx, which loses most of the homepage.

> If that's indeed the case, I'd like to find out why and if there's anything
> we can change to make it work.  Granted, we'd hope most people would be
> using something other than IE, but if we want to encourage new Linux users,
> we need to be able to get the message out.

Presumably openacs has been developed with IE as well as Netscape in mind.
(I've seen browser-specific code in the pulldown menu module.) I don't
normally test with IE, but can if I have to. I think there's even some
hooks for serving special pages for non-graphical browsers like lynx, but
I haven't dug into that. I very rarely use lynx, and don't think it should
be considered the common denominator for our web pages. I would agree that
we should the intersection of relatively recent Netscape and IE as common
denominator, and either stick to that or implement support for both (as
the pulldown menu module does).

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/