Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Patch for error handling / separation of accounts etc.

To: Paul Hinze <paul.t.hinze@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patch for error handling / separation of accounts etc.
From: Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:07:11 +0430

Hi Paul,

Happy to hear you find it useful!  And thanks for the offer - please by
all means take a look at the code... it's open source after all...
Actually the tricky part was making sure that if a run crashes that the
threading release was handled properly...

The one thing I found is that sometimes I need those stack traces... I
have been attempting one more modification and for development purposes
having the stack trace is quite useful...  But I think if we use the
debug method in the UI then people can decide to see that or not...

I didn't realize Gmail had bandwidth limits....

Regards,

-Mike

Paul Hinze wrote:
> Paul Hinze <paul.t.hinze@xxxxxxxxx> on 2009-08-24 at 10:25:
>
>> Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 2009-08-24 at 10:19:
>>
>>> I have made the attached patch to try and make offlineimap a bit more
>>> stable in challenging situations.
>>>
>> I'll apply it here and start testing right away.
>>

> Well since I sent that first message, I started up a new offlineimap
> process.  Let's check up on it shall we? :)
>

>> $ ps aux | grep offlin[e]
>> phinze   23367  [...] /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/offlineimap
>> $ ps -o etime -p 23367
>>    ELAPSED
>>  4-03:38:51
>>

> That's right, the process has be up for a full 4 days 3 hours and
> counting with nary a hiccup!
>
> This is on a laptop syncing local maildirs with a remote exchange
> account and a remote gmail account.  In a given day I get something on
> the order of a couple hundred messages and suspend/resume my laptop
> multiple times with networking state in all different combinations of
> up/down/wifi/ethernet/dhcp/static.
>
> Before the patch I found myself restarting offlineimap as often as once
> an hour.  As you can imagine, these past 4 days have been a massive
> improvement.
>
> Also, from the new error output I've learned one of the reasons
> offlineimap used to crash on me:
>

>> WARNING: Error occured attempting to sync account gmail: [ALERT]
>> Account exceeded bandwidth limits. (Failure)
>>

> I was unable to deduce this from the long backtraces offlineimap used
> to give me.
>
> So, as far as I can tell so far from a purely functional standpoint
> (I've done no code review as yet), this patch gets two thumbs up and
> belongs in everyone's movie collection. :)
>
> Feel free to ask me any more details about my setup or experience, and
> I'm also willing to do a more technical code review of the patch if that
> would be helpful.
>
> Thanks for your work on this, Mike!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

This Email sent by PAIWASTOON Supreme Server - Instant Send/Receive Office
Email/Web Acceleration System !
Learn more at: www.paiwastoon.af/supreme