Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Patch for error handling / separation of accounts etc.

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patch for error handling / separation of accounts etc.
From: Paul Hinze <paul.t.hinze@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:19:46 -0500

Paul Hinze <paul.t.hinze@xxxxxxxxx> on 2009-08-24 at 10:25:
> Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 2009-08-24 at 10:19:
> > I have made the attached patch to try and make offlineimap a bit more
> > stable in challenging situations.
>
> I'll apply it here and start testing right away.

Well since I sent that first message, I started up a new offlineimap
process.  Let's check up on it shall we? :)

> $ ps aux | grep offlin[e]
> phinze   23367  [...] /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/offlineimap
> $ ps -o etime -p 23367
>    ELAPSED
>  4-03:38:51

That's right, the process has be up for a full 4 days 3 hours and
counting with nary a hiccup!

This is on a laptop syncing local maildirs with a remote exchange
account and a remote gmail account.  In a given day I get something on
the order of a couple hundred messages and suspend/resume my laptop
multiple times with networking state in all different combinations of
up/down/wifi/ethernet/dhcp/static.

Before the patch I found myself restarting offlineimap as often as once
an hour.  As you can imagine, these past 4 days have been a massive
improvement.

Also, from the new error output I've learned one of the reasons
offlineimap used to crash on me:

> WARNING: Error occured attempting to sync account gmail: [ALERT]
> Account exceeded bandwidth limits. (Failure)

I was unable to deduce this from the long backtraces offlineimap used
to give me.

So, as far as I can tell so far from a purely functional standpoint
(I've done no code review as yet), this patch gets two thumbs up and
belongs in everyone's movie collection. :)

Feel free to ask me any more details about my setup or experience, and
I'm also willing to do a more technical code review of the patch if that
would be helpful.

Thanks for your work on this, Mike!

Cheers,

Paul