Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2009:
OfflineIMAP bootstrapping question.

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OfflineIMAP bootstrapping question.
From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:26:15 +1000

G'day.

I would very much like to use OfflineIMAP to sync IMAP to IMAP[1] so that my
laptop and server accounts stay in sync.

The one limitation that had concerned me was that folder creation was only a
one way sync process =E2=80=94 until it occurred to me that I really only r=
ead mail on
the laptop; reading on the server is rare, and I can live without being able
to create folders there.

So, if I set up OfflineIMAP with the remote server being the laptop and the
local server being the remote machine, this should do what I want: I can
manage folders on the laptop, happily, and the server will be made to refle=
ct
that.

My one concern is bootstrapping this: I would be starting with the "remote"
server empty, but the "local" server full of email.

I /think/ that OfflineIMAP will make them both identical the first time I r=
un
it, but I am not absolutely certain ... and "think" isn't a work I like to
associate with the risk of mail loss. :)

So, am I safe running things this way, and will it do more or less what
I want?

Regards,
        Daniel

Sorry to ask what seems like it should be a FAQ, but neither the manual or =
the
FAQ on the website gave me sufficient answer for me to risk my email on it.=
 :(

Footnotes:=20
[1]  My client doesn't like Maildir.