Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2009:
Re: Can imap syncs be done without INTERNALDATE?

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can imap syncs be done without INTERNALDATE?
From: Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:37:27 -0700

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 03:31:59PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I am having issues linked the amount of overhead imap traffic that
> > offlineimap
> > generates during each big folder sync.
> >
> > The dev guy I talked to said that I shouldn't be sending all that
> > INTERNALDATE traffic and should be able to sync without asking for that
> > (which apparently doubles the amount of traffic generated). He says other
> > programs that do 2 way imap syncs do so without INTERNALDATE.
> >
> > So, what about offlineimap, can that be removed, or does it fulfill an
> > important purpose?
>
> Where exactly is INTERNALDATE being requested wher eyou think it
> shouldn't be?

wrtr:
   DEBUG[imap]:   33:06.96 wrtr > CNEO10 FETCH 1:41740 (FLAGS UID
INTERNALDATE)\r\n

which in turn causes:
redr:
   DEBUG[imap]:   33:07.08 redr < * 1 FETCH (UID 1 INTERNALDATE "06-Dec-2005
21:13:19 +0000" FLAGS ())\r\n

When I get 41740 UIDs back with a long internaldate that I'm not sure I need,
it doubles
the size of the replies, subsequent traffic, and causes me to download over 1GB
a day
for only syncing my folders every 15mn.

offlineimap should only need the UID for syncing purposes, should it not?

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/