Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2009:
Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:30:37 -0700

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your attention to the matter -- I had a feeling it
was a smartermail bug, and I had hoped maybe it would be easy to work
around. At this point I guess I just need to get a new ISP (a decision
I made quite some time back, but it's a lot of work to switch!) Looking
at the smartermail forum messages it seems that this has been an issue
for a long time, and they still haven't fixed it.

Cheers,
David

On Mon 20 Apr 2009, John Goerzen wrote:
> That's some very strange stuff happening there.  Looking at around
line
> 170 in imap-log-copy-12793, it looks like  an entire message is
> received, but after "use clocal", the imap library thinks it's the end
> of the message, and is very confused about the rest of it.
>
> That doesn't smell of an OfflineIMAP bug, but whether or not the bug
is
> in the server or imaplib2.py may be a bit more tricky to tell.  On
line
> 35, we see:
>
> redr: DEBUG[imap]:   45:30.12 redr < * 1 FETCH (BODY[] {5136}\r\n
>
> The server is saying that the message is 5136 bytes.
>
> If I take the truncated message found within 171, and run it through
the
> Python interpreter to convert \r and \n back to their real components,
> Python tells me the length of that string is 5135.  Interesting, eh?
>
> This at least makes me considerably suspicious that the server is at
> fault here.  If it's sending the wrong message size, that's a pretty
> serious bug.
>
> -- John
>
> David L. Emerson wrote:
> > Alright, I am not sure why this took me more than a year, but maybe
it's
> > because my bash script was working just barely well enough.
> >
> > Nowadays the newer offlineimap is not crashing, but is truncating
> > messages! So that kinda sucks. Unfortunately I didn't realize what
was
> > going on, and deleted some of the originals from the server, so now
all
> > I have is the local copies that are truncated. Happily, nothing
> > important.
> >
> > So I've done a run of:
> > offlineimap -1 -d imap -l imap-log-dle -a ab-dle
> >
> > I looked through it and found an example of bad stuff happening.
Here is
> > the section of the imap log where message 12793 is copied:
> >
> > http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/imap-log-copy-12793.bz2
> >
> > I thought it might be useful to see the copied message:
> > - as saved by offlineimap, in the folder ab-dle/.INBOX.FPC/cur
> > - a paste of its full text, lifted from the webmail client
> >
> > http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/message_12793.tar.bz2
> >
> > And in case it's useful, here is a full log of the same session
> > (password sanitized):
> >
> > http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/imap-log-dle.bz2
> >

> > Thanks!
> > ~David.
> >
> > (Crossing my fingers that this is an easy fix...)

> >> I hate to say I forgot to tell you this, but please add -1 to
> >> offlineimap when you run this.  Best is to run -d imap -1 -u
TTY.TTYUI