Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2009:
Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail

To: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:02:00 -0500

That's some very strange stuff happening there.  Looking at around line
170 in imap-log-copy-12793, it looks like  an entire message is
received, but after "use clocal", the imap library thinks it's the end
of the message, and is very confused about the rest of it.

That doesn't smell of an OfflineIMAP bug, but whether or not the bug is
in the server or imaplib2.py may be a bit more tricky to tell.  On line
35, we see:

redr: DEBUG[imap]:   45:30.12 redr < * 1 FETCH (BODY[] {5136}\r\n

The server is saying that the message is 5136 bytes.

If I take the truncated message found within 171, and run it through the
Python interpreter to convert \r and \n back to their real components,
Python tells me the length of that string is 5135.  Interesting, eh?

This at least makes me considerably suspicious that the server is at
fault here.  If it's sending the wrong message size, that's a pretty
serious bug.

-- John