Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2009:
Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP and SmarterMail
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:19:19 -0700

Alright, I am not sure why this took me more than a year, but maybe it's
because my bash script was working just barely well enough.

Nowadays the newer offlineimap is not crashing, but is truncating
messages! So that kinda sucks. Unfortunately I didn't realize what was
going on, and deleted some of the originals from the server, so now all
I have is the local copies that are truncated. Happily, nothing
important.

So I've done a run of:
offlineimap -1 -d imap -l imap-log-dle -a ab-dle

I looked through it and found an example of bad stuff happening. Here is
the section of the imap log where message 12793 is copied:

http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/imap-log-copy-12793.bz2

I thought it might be useful to see the copied message:
- as saved by offlineimap, in the folder ab-dle/.INBOX.FPC/cur
- a paste of its full text, lifted from the webmail client

http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/message_12793.tar.bz2

And in case it's useful, here is a full log of the same session
(password sanitized):

http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/imap-log-dle.bz2

Thanks!
~David.

(Crossing my fingers that this is an easy fix...)

On Thu 6 Dec 2007, John Goerzen wrote:
> David L. Emerson wrote:
> > Here are several imap logs, password-sanitized and tar/bz'd:
> >
> > http://david9.freepgs.com/misc/log-imap-ab-dle.tar.bz2
> >
> > I've looked at them a bit, but am really not sure what I'm looking
> > for ... I don't really have any way of knowing whether there is a
> > bug in offlineimap, or a bug in smartermail
>
> I hate to say I forgot to tell you this, but please add -1 to
> offlineimap when you run this.  Best is to run -d imap -1 -u TTY.TTYUI
> under script or some such.  It's hard to filter through multithreaded
> dumps.
>
> -- John

Oh ... and I didn't change the interface, seems like the logs are done
properly with output via -l regardless of the interface.