Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2008:
Re: Darwin patches

To: Michael Witten <mfwitten@xxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Darwin patches
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:06:33 -0500

Michael Witten wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more clear.
>
> I was having MemoryError exceptions whilst trying to download
> "large" emails (because the emails probably have attachments).
>
> After doing some research, I found that the problem lies with
> Mac OS X's memory allocation and that the solution is available
> in python 2.6 (rc2 in my case); it is roughly the same fix
> that has been included at a higher level in OfflineIMAP's repo
> (but I hadn't cloned the repo yet to find that out; it's in
> commit 10c2b6fbaa333a7fe4c58e5ef6b1186fdb5f8d7e).

OK, so just to confirm, I could revert that patch once Python 2.6 is
released?

> After installing python 2.6rc2 and then OfflineIMAP (from the
> release tar ball), I got a runtime error caused by the else
> block of the following code in OfflineIMAP:
>
>> if sys.version_info[0] <= 2 and sys.version_info[1] <= 2:
>>     self.sslobj = socket.ssl(self.sock, self.keyfile, self.certfile)
>> else:
>>     self.sslobj = socket.ssl(self.sock._sock, self.keyfile, self.certfile)

Right.  I've applied your other patch for that one now.

[snippage]

> P.S.
>
> Speaking of Mac OS X, you list the following:
>
>> An informal benchmark yields these results for my setup:
>>
>>     10 minutes with MacOS X Mail.app "manual cache"
>>     5 minutes with GNUS agent sync
>>     20 seconds with OfflineIMAP 1.x
>>     9 seconds with OfflineIMAP 2.x
>>     3 seconds with OfflineIMAP 3.x "cold start"
>>     2 seconds with OfflineIMAP 3.x "held connection"
>
> However, Mail.app is probably indexing those emails, finding out if

This was made a few years ago.  I'm just talking about having it
download all folders for offline use, and timed how long it took it vs.
OfflineIMAP to do that, starting from the same state.

IMHO, it's a valid comparison.