Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2008:
Re: Aborted synchronization

To: Rickard Lindberg <ricli85@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Aborted synchronization
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:17:35 -0500

Rickard Lindberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using offlineimap to backup my Gmail account.
>
> Around a month ago I noticed that all my mail in the "Sent Mail"
> folder was gone. I am wondering if this could have something to do
> with an aborted synchronization, or if this is somehow caused by
> offlineimap.

OfflineIMAP is designed to be extremely robust in the face of this.  You
can't ever make guarantees in this line of work, but I am as certain as
I can be that an OfflineIMAP crash wouldn't make you lose mail.  I have
used OfflineIMAP on my own mail since before v1.0.0 and I don't believe
I've ever lost mail to a malfunction.  I *have* had plenty of crashes in
my time ;-)

There is a narrow window which could cause you to have a duplicate
message or two, however.

Also, if you delte mail locally. OfflineIMAP will of course happily
delete the remote copy.