Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
offlineimap optimisations

To: offlineimap list <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: offlineimap optimisations
From: martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:45:57 +0100

Hi,
trying to sync a 150k message mailbox (which isn't my first time),
I ran into some performance issues which made me look at offlineimap
strace output.

There, I noticed two things:

1. offlineimap *churns* through PIDs. I know the programme uses
   threads, but in my understanding, threads don't eat PIDs, only
   forks do. So what is it doing, consuming somewhere in the
   vicinity of 100 PIDs per minute?

2. I see a lot of
     [pid 19379]
rename("/home/madduck/.var/offlineimap/Account-seamus.madduck.net/LocalStatus/spool.tmp",
 "/home/madduck/.var/offlineimap/Account-seamus.madduck.net/LocalStatus/spool")
= 0
   in the output, and it makes me think that offlineimap rewrites
   the database after every message it receives. I know sqlite
   integration is in the works, but maybe a journaling approach
   would be better, writing changes to a journal and merging it in
   on completion, or whenever there's time.

This just up for discussion. I know I should be hacking on the code
instead. Sorry John! :)

an avocado-tone refrigerator would look good on your resume.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

-- File: digital_signature_gpg.asc
-- Desc: Digital signature (see http://martin-krafft.net/gpg/)