Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: November 2007:
Re: offlineimap crashes a lot

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: offlineimap crashes a lot
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:51:00 -0800

Hi Vincent et al,

> > offlineimap crashes almost every time it downloads any messages.
>
> Could you tell us more about your system, and post the error
> message that you get ? The only way I know to make it crash reliably
> is to sync huge messages on Mac OS X (cf. previous posts about the
> behavior of realloc() in OSX and the way it interacts with python).

PII / 333 MHz, 192 MB ram, Debian stable, running KDE and far more bloat
than one might expect on such an old system :)

Error messages follow. I'm not syncing huge messages at all ... I think
it crashed today while downloading an offlineimap mailing list message;
and it was only downloading maybe 3 or 4 messages in total.

> > Maybe I have a buggy imap server? I don't know what type of server
> > it is, or how to find out, but I'll be happy to find out if there's
> > a way I can do so...
>
> You can connect by hand (by typing "telnet whatever.server.com 143" in
> a terminal) and look at the server's greeting message.

I think the angelbase.com server is the one that is giving me trouble:

Trying 216.119.106.195...
Connected to mail.angelbase.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK IMAP4rev1 SmarterMail

...I guess I didn't realize that "SmarterMail" (which I hate) has its
own imap server. I guess that probably explains a lot. I've been
planning to move angelbase.com to a different server, anyway.

I can't recall ever knowingly seeing a crash caused by the
artoflivingla.org server:

Trying 66.175.37.201...
Connected to artoflivingla.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision,
Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.

...I've seen some messages on this list that indicate that courier-imap
is a pretty save bet. :)

> > Is there any particular log that would be useful for me to post?
>
> The stack trace displayed in your terminal when the program crashes
> would be informative (to the gurus around, at least).

Here's two ... I think they're pretty similar

Thread 'Copy message 1058 from .' terminated with exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 153, in run
    Thread.run(self)
  File "threading.py", line 422, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/folder/Base.py",
line 277, in copymessageto
    message = self.getmessage(uid)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/folder/IMAP.py",
line 164, in getmessage
    initialresult = imapobj.uid('fetch', '%d' % uid, '(BODY.PEEK[])')
  File "imaplib.py", line 725, in uid
    typ, dat = self._simple_command(name, command, *args)
  File "imaplib.py", line 1028, in _simple_command
    return self._command_complete(name, self._command(name, *args))
  File "imaplib.py", line 860, in _command_complete
    raise self.abort('command: %s => %s' % (name, val))
abort: command: UID => unexpected response: '69364 Lyon Cedex 07'

No debug messages were logged for Copy message 1058 from ..
Exception in thread Folder sync ab-david[.INBOX.Deleted Items] (most
likely raised during interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 239, in run
exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object
Exception in thread Copy message 1057 from . (most likely raised during
interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 239, in run
exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object
Exception in thread Folder sync ab-3cl[.INBOX.Deleted Items] (most
likely raised during interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 239, in run
exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object
Exception in thread Folder sync ab-3x[.] (most likely raised during
interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 239, in run
exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object
Exception in thread Account sync ab-3x (most likely raised during
interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 239, in run
exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object

[my bash script restarted offlineimap here...]

Thread 'Copy message 1059 from .' terminated with exception:
[...]
response: 'qFSoVKhUqFSoVKhUqFSoVKhUqFSoVKhUqFQNCqGj'

No debug messages were logged for Copy message 1059 from ..

Thanks!
~David.