Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2007:
Re: Synchronization Issue (Folders not deleted)

To: bernhard.egger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Synchronization Issue (Folders not deleted)
From: Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:39:17 +1000

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 15:19 +0900, Bernhard Egger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using offlineimap to backup my mails on a courier IMAP server. It works
> nicely, although it took about 4 days with 100% CPU and >400MB of RAM to
> download my Junk folder.
> (insanely large, ~300K messages...I know, but still. The first 100K or so
> messages download reasonably fast, but then it gets slower and slower. At the
> end, only about 1 message per 3 seconds is downloaded. With 400MB of RAM one
> would assume that the necessary data structures are all in memory and thus
> accessed/traversed quickly).
This is largely due to the localstatus updates that offlineimap is
doing.

I have a patch (see the archives, or i can send it to you) that uses a
sqlite database per folder for localstatus that *dramatically* speeds
this up and significantly reduces CPU time (i've been using it myself on
my critical mail for several months now... so it does work).

It also saves a heap of RAM :)

I'd be interested to hear you trying an initial sync with my patch and
see how it goes (should be a lot quicker too)

(keep in mind that i have migration code for the old to new format for
localstatus, but not the other way... so you probably want to try this
with a fresh user somewhere and then blow it away)
--
Stewart Smith (stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.flamingspork.com/

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part