Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: Dreamhost Compatibility

To: "Tom Purl" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dreamhost Compatibility
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:25:16 -0500

On Wed July 11 2007 10:58:02 am Tom Purl wrote:
> > If you have direct access to your Maildir/mbox/whatever store, you could
> > compile your own IMAP server and invoke it via a preauth tunnel (where
> > OfflineIMAP invokes ssh to the server and runs the IMAP server from the
> > command line -- so you don't have a running "server" process listening
> > on any ports)
>
> This sounds really interesting, but I'm not entirely clear on
> everything.  By "direct access", do you mean ssh access?  Also, where
> would I compile the IMAP server, on my local machine or on the remote
> host?

I mean that, if you ssh in to the server and use tools like ls, can you see
the actual files that store your mail?  I was a dreamhost customer -- very
briefly -- a little while back, and I think that you can but I don't
remember for sure.

You'd compile the IMAP server on the dreamhost box so you get the correct
libraries.