Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2006:
Re: Problem with authentication, while running offlineimap in noninterac

To: Amarendra Godbole <amarendra.godbole@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with authentication, while running offlineimap in noninteractive mode
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:27:09 -0500

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:10:20AM +0530, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using offlineimap-4.0.9, provided in Debian `sarge'. I can use
> offlineimap to sync my IMAP folder in the interactive mode, but in the
> noninteractive mode I am hitting an exception. Here is what I get:

[ snip ]

> NotImplementedError: Prompting for a password is not supported in
> noninteractive mode.

Yes.  Well, that is somewhat to be expected.  Noninteractive mode is,
well, non-interactive.  It's designed to not require any sort of
interaction with the user, so there is no way to ask the user for a
password.

There are three ways to give the password.  Search for the word
"password" in the example offlineimap.conf for documentaiton on how to
do that.  You can put the password in your .offlineimaprc or a separate
file, which will prevent OfflineIMAP from having to prompt you for it.
(Of course, with that idea, anybody that can read that file can get your
password.)

The other option is a preauth tunnel -- usually ssh with an authorized
key -- that doesn't require a password at all.