Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2006:
Problem with authentication, while running offlineimap in noninteractive

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problem with authentication, while running offlineimap in noninteractive mode
From: "Amarendra Godbole" <amarendra.godbole@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:10:20 +0530

Hi,

I am using offlineimap-4.0.9, provided in Debian `sarge'. I can use
offlineimap to sync my IMAP folder in the interactive mode, but in the
noninteractive mode I am hitting an exception. Here is what I get:

amar@cribobaa:~$ offlineimap
Thread 'Account sync Work' terminated with exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 153, in run
    Thread.run(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/threading.py", line 422, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py",
line 113, in syncrunner
    self.sync()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py",
line 133, in sync
    remoterepos.syncfoldersto(localrepos)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/repository/Base.py",
line 104, in syncfoldersto
    srcfolders = src.getfolders()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/repository/IMAP.py",
line 135, in getfolders
    imapobj = self.imapserver.acquireconnection()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py",
line 180, in acquireconnection
    self.plainauth(imapobj)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py",
line 121, in plainauth
    imapobj.login(self.username, self.getpassword())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py",
line 85, in getpassword
    self.passworderror)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/offlineimap/ui/Noninteractive.py",
line 24, in getpass
    raise NotImplementedError, "Prompting for a password is not
supported in noninteractive mode."
NotImplementedError: Prompting for a password is not supported in
noninteractive mode.

Last 3 debug messages logged for Account sync Work prior to exception:
maildir: MaildirRepository initialized, sep is '.'
imap: Attempting plain authentication
imap: Attempting plain authentication
amar@cribobaa:~$

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the kind of auth
mechanism supported by the IMAP server (just a guess). My
.offlineimaprc looks like this:

[general]
accounts = Work
ui = Noninteractive.Quiet

[Account Work]
localrepository = WorkLocal
remoterepository = WorkRemote
autorefersh = 5

[Repository WorkLocal]
type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/Mail

[Repository WorkRemote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.foobar.com
remoteuser = amar
remotepass = xxxxxx
ssl = no
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername in ['INBOX']
maxconnections = 1
holdconnectionopen = no

I'd be glad to provide more info., if necessary. Any help to fix this
problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. offlineimap is a
really nice piece of work! :-)

Best,
Amarendra

--