Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2005:
Re: Multiple Accounts

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Multiple Accounts
From: Jon Riddle <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:37:58 -0500

> > Here is my reasoning:  I have been looking for a way to sync two mail
> > servers (relatively small for now, ~20 users), and as I see from the
> > discussion archive, others are doing this.  If there were logic in the
> > program that, upon finding remoteuser and remotepass directives in the
> > Account section, would use that user and pass for both repositories.
> > As I understand it now (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I have to
> > set up an Account and two Repository sections for each user (for ~61
> > sections total).  If I had the ability to move the remoteuser/remotepass
> > directives into the Account sections, I could cut this down to ~23
> > sections (general, repository 1, repository 2, ~20 accounts).  Thoughts?
>
> There is a feature that is not really documented in OfflineIMAP, but if
> you put a [DEFAULT] section at the top of the file, you can set defaults
> for everything else.  So:
>
> [DEFAULT]
> remoteuser = joe
> remotepass = pythonrocks
>
> will set the defaults for everything.  I hope.  ;-)

But I don't want to set the defaults for everything.  I want to define a
remote repository and a local repository (both IMAP servers in my case)
and have one account section per user, with usernames and passwords in
each section.  Not being familiar with Python, I have no idea how
difficult this would be to implement.  If you can point me in the
direction of the config parser, I can start hacking my way though it.

Just out of curiosity, would this option be of any use to anyone else on
this list?

Jon